Grandcamp Maisy

The German Batterie at Grandcamp Maisy was opened to the public on the 3rd of April 2007. The site which has been derelict and covered with earth since 1945 has been purchased by an Englishman Gary Steane. The Germans installed two batteries here to protect the ports of Grandcamp, Isigny and Carentan. The same guns were used at the famous batterie at Merville and Ouistreham. For more information on the guns and their place in the Atlantik Wall visit http://www.atlantikwall.org.uk/grandcamp_maisy.htm. For the opening ceremony three American Rangers were present to unveil a plaque to those who fell taking the batterie, which was the last to resist, not being taken until the 9th June.         The Rangers present were John Burke, Jim Gabaree and Daniel Farley. The site will be open each day 10:00 - 18:00 until May when it will open until 19:00

Home Up

 All photographs are the copyright of Hand Maid Tours, please ask before you use them.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact
john@normandy1944.org.uk