Pointe du Hoc

This Batterie which overlooked both the Omaha and Utah landing beaches was equipped with six 155 mm type K418 guns. These guns would have had a range of approximately 22 kms and could have inflicted damage to the Allied ships at both the American landing beaches. Only two of the Casemates were finished by D-day, but the guns not installed. These were of the type H671. The Fire Control Post Type H636 was finished and operational, and equipped with a telemeter to give accurate firing co-ordinates to the guns. The other four gun emplacements were concrete bases in the open. During the winter of 1943 three Casemates of the type H679 were started, but not completed. In April 1944 the Allies bombed the site and destroyed one gun. Rommel decided to move the remaining guns further inland. Also installed on the site were two 20 mm Flak 30 guns as well as numerous machine gun posts. The Regiment stationed here at the time of D-day were the 2/HKAR 1260. On the next headland, Pointe du Percee the Kriegsmarine had a radar station code named Imme, which also had its own Flak 30 and machine gun posts. In many American documents during and after the war Point du Hoc is often misspelt at Pointe du Hoe. The Pointe du Hoc today retains much of its battlefield character because of the destruction left by the rain of bombs and shells the Allies unleashed to neutralise this rocky point. The much feared battery was bombed three times before D Day, then hit from the air again that morning. The battleships Texas and Arkansas battered the area with their 14 and 12-inch guns just after dawn. Later in the morning, the destroyer Satterlee saturated the position with her 5-inch guns in direct support of the Rangers. This concentration of fire left craters and ruined Casemates which sixty years have yet to erase.

Home Up Pointe du Hoc 2

 All photographs are the copyright of Hand Maid Tours, please ask before you use them.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact
john@normandy1944.org.uk